Step by step, this is how I did it:
1. I had a sketch on a hot pink layer. I duplicated the sketch, turned the luminescence down, merged it all together. Slapped on a base skintone, merged that with the sketch.
2. I colorpicked a shading tone from the linework that ended up being like a vaguely purply-peach color. I made a little palette on the side for colors I’d be working with. Also, I’m painting all of this entirely on one layer so that’s something to keep in mind.
3. Grabbed some more colors for my shading palette from the linework + base color layer. Started playing with highlights as well.
4. Started blocking in where I wanted darker colors for the shading and kept on blending the highlights.
5. blend blend blend blend colourpick blend blend colourpick blend etc etc ad nauseum
6. thought the colours were looking a little washed out, so i duplicated the layer, set the duplicated layer to shade, turned it down to like 11% opacity, hue shifted it to be more peachy/pink.
7. decided it was TOO pink, hue shifted it to be more neutral/yellow.
8. shade shade shade blend blend colourpick define highlights define details define define define. Opacity of my brush was varying a LOT here, like fluctuating every 7-10 strokes.
9. LE YEUX!
10. more defining. I narrowed the bridge of his nose a little and added more highlights.
11. LES YEUX! Deux yeux. Also more shading, hon hon hon.
12. Eyes are done. i think that’s the only thing thats changed here.
13. Alors, he is looking like he’s got some life in him now. This was a multiply layer, 100%, veeeery pale pink fluffed out with white.
14. And we’re done. This layer was a little bit of highlighting on the apples of his cheeks, around his eyes a bit more, I think I adjusted the weird neck-saddle shadow he’s got going on there, annnnd that’s about it!
Hope that helped!
Chris Sanders’ “Sanders’ Style Surfin’”
lol, shows you exactly what he thought of when he was designing Nani and what was most important. Him and his sexual fetish for hawaiian girls isn’t a secret and boy am I fucking happy the animators didn’t go with most of these notes. Yikes. “womb”? what the fuck? And those hands?
for both this and The Croods thankfully common sense won out and his designs were either revised or eschewed altogether. Imagine if the HTTYD kids looked like this.
eurgh, reblogging for educational prosperity
There you go! ; v ;
Reblogging to reference later.
Also hangin’ onto this!
Visual Shoe Dictionary
More Visual Glossaries (for Her): Backpacks / Bags / Bra Types / Hats / Belt knots / Coats / Collars / Darts / Dress Shapes / Dress Silhouettes / Eyeglass frames / Eyeliner Strokes / Hangers / Harem Pants / Heels / Lingerie / Nail shapes / Necklaces / Necklines / Puffy Sleeves / Shoes / Shorts / Silhouettes / Skirts / Tartans / Tops / Underwear / Vintage Hats / Waistlines / Wool
If you’re starting out now, I’d suggest trying out Behance. It seems like a pretty solid place to have a portfolio and where clients are constantly checking for work. I would join the site but I don’t feel like having another place to post, LOL.
You can also just have a solid, clean blog and post just your art there as well. Try grabbing or buying a Tumblr theme that has on a portfolio showcase-style layout. There’s no need to have your own central, designed site these days, but there’s nothing wrong with making one if you’d like.
That should be enough to get you running. Hope it helps!
I’ve had the question pop up a couple times asking how I colour, unfortunately I only have the process of a 2012 piece D: I still pretty much use this process now so it still applies lol. Apologies for the copious amount of spelling/grammatical mistakes <: B
Sidenote: check out skoptsy<3 she is the queen of values<3 *A * and needs all zee love <3
Paint tool SAI Masterpost
Okay so someone i follow lost all of her custom brushes so i made a masterpost for anybody who needed it
First i have some links:
And now full pictures i found in google a looong time ago:
And last a blog with a bunch of these:
http://ptsbrushes.tumblr.com/ (though it doesn’t update much)
erhmm…yep that’s about it